Although the sequence can vary depending on the student, family and school district, all of the following must occur prior to an acceptance to Benhaven School:
- Referral from school district is made via phone, email, mail or fax.
- Benhaven School welcomes and provides tours for interested families; however, only the student’s sending school district can initiate the referral process.
- A designated person from Benhaven’s admissions team has an initial conversation with the school district to determine if the student would meet Benhaven’s general criteria.
- School district forwards the student’s file/records for further review.
- The file/records are reviewed by the admissions team to ensure the IEP can be fully implemented by Benhaven. Questions or concerns may be identified and addressed with the school district and/or the family/guardian.
- Parents/guardians are invited to visit Benhaven for an information session and tour. In general, it is best if the student does not attend this meeting since it can take 1 - 1.5 hours, and many students may have difficulty waiting.
- A member of the admissions team observes the student in either his/her current educational placement and/or the student’s home. In addition to this observation, they generally seek an opportunity to speak with the student’s current teacher and/or family member.
- A release for Benhaven’s Medical Director to review medical information is signed by parent(s)/guardian.
- Benhaven’s Medical Director speaks to the student’s current physician(s) and reviews the student’s health and medical records, including a current physical (within 2 years), updated immunization records, current doctor’s orders and any other pertinent medical information. This must be done prior to admission. This is to ensure there are no medical/health needs that Benhaven would be unable to meet. Per Benhaven’s Medical Director, no child will be admitted to Benhaven School if his/her immunizations are not current and maintained.
- The family/guardian completes the admission packet, and it is reviewed by Benhaven.
Once Benhaven identifies itself as an appropriate placement:
- Benhaven notifies the school district, and the student is formally accepted.
- A placement PPT is scheduled.
- A start date is determined.
For inquiries contact: