- Tutoring services
- College or trade exploration
- College life, campus resources ad support services
- Life-long learning in areas of interest and need
- Independent living and consumer skills (finance, banking)
- Developing self-advocacy skills
- Accessing accommodations
- Addressing executive functioning skills
- Independent and personal living skills (household, health care, fitness)
- Accessing transportation
- Independent recreational and leisure activities
- Personal independence
- Exploration of the "Hidden Curriculum"
- Establishing and sustaining relationships
- Verbal & nonverbal communication skills
- Conversation skills
- Career interests and exploration
- Assessment of work skills and behaviors
- Pre-employment skills including resume writing, job search, job applications, interview skills
- Job Development and job maintenance
- Job coaching
- Customized Employment
Benhaven’s Career and Transition Services program is certified by the state agencies overseeing services to individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities: Aging and Disability Services (ADS) and the Department of Developmental Services (DDS). We have numerous staff who have completed the required training to provide Customized Employment (CE). CE is a nationally recognized approach to providing a very individualized method to finding and securing employment that is geared to a person’s strengths, skills and interests. It is provided in three phases:
- Discovery during which time an individual’s interests, skills and needed areas of training are identified and assessed with a focus on how best to use the interests and skills to match the individual to employment that will be fulfilling and for which the person is well suited.
- Job Development when a certified job developer locates possible employment opportunities and provides the necessary linkages between the individual and potential employers to identify appropriate work opportunities and negotiate work transition, job duties and employment support to make sure the individual is successful
- Job Coaching during which time a trained employment instructor provides onsite support to the individual for designated periods of time until the person can work independently with only natural support from co-workers.
If you are interested in CE for yourself or your child please contact Lisa Jones, Director and she can guide you through the referral process with the appropriate state agency.
- Personalized social experiences based on the needs and interests of the individual.
- Individuals have opportunities to engage in art, clubs, physical fitness, gaming, yoga and other areas of interest.
- Transition Assessments, including but not limited to:
- Assessment of Functional Living Skills (AFLS)
- Enderle-Severson Transition Rating Scale (ESTR-III)
- Brigance Transition Skills Inventory
- Checklist of Adaptive Living Skills (CALS)
- LIST (Learning Inventory Skills Training