Special Education Teacher - Benhaven Academy
Benhaven Academy is an innovative and state-of-the-art educational program. The Academy offers an individualized school program, focused on academic, communication, social and vocational instruction for students with autism spectrum disorders, pervasive developmental disabilities and other related difficulties.
Benhaven Academy is a small private school for students who struggle with traditional learning approaches and norms of a public school. Located in Wallingford, CT, we are seeking applicants for an exciting career in special education. Teachers are vital to Benhaven’s mission as they provide care, support, education and guidance to students every day. Students at Benhaven Academy present unique learning needs and challenging issues and our teachers work in collaboration with highly trained staff to provide cutting-edge, individualized interventions. The underlying focus of the program is to foster resilience and expand areas of competence.
If you have limited experience with this population, please still consider applying. We provide a vast amount of training, including at orientation, in supervision and on the job.
Benhaven Academy provides individualized instruction to meet each student’s unique educational needs and do not exceed a five to one student-teacher ratio. In addition, teachers' assistants are present in all classrooms to assist with instruction.
We provide an academic curriculum that adheres to the CT Common Core State Standards. In addition, students learn career and vocational, as well as life and health skills. Students attend academic classes taught by certified subject area teachers. The school calendar is based on a traditional academic year. In addition, a 6-week ESY, Extended School Year is encouraged for students. Students attend school from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm. Staff work a 12-month schedule with 37 paid vacation and holidays in addition to 10 sick days.
The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, reflective, have a strong desire to learn and have an understanding of utilizing and applying the Connecticut Common Core State Standards for students in grades 6 through 12+. Experience working with adolescents in an alternative school setting or treatment program is preferred but not required.
A teacher’s perspective on what is it like to teach at Benhaven Academy?
Benhaven prioritizes and invests in unparalleled professional development, so you can improve your craft and grow at every stage of your career. With access to resources and support from colleagues, you’re never alone.
In the classroom, your creativity is encouraged and embraced. Deliver academic instruction and character development in a way that excites your students and meets their unique needs. We believe every student will learn if given the opportunity.
It’s more than a job. We’re here to work hard. Be nice. And, never stop learning.
Benhaven offers complete benefits - Blue Cross health insurance, dental, a 403b, paid vacation, 7 paid holidays, tuition reimbursement and a profit-sharing plan, among others.
- Minimum of degree and Connecticut State Certification as a Special Educator preferred OR a four-year college or university degree, with major course work in Education and enrollment in a Masters level Special Education program to be waivered by Connecticut State Department of Education (DSAP). (*if you are not sure if you meet this requirement, please reach out and we will discuss).
- Knowledge of special education curriculum development and IEP goals/objectives (support will be provided)
- Experience working with adolescents in a general education or special education environment (special education preferred)
- Excellent verbal de-escalation skills, communication skills, and ability to be an independent worker (training provided)
- Knowledge of Special Education teacher requirements in CT
- Background Check: Acceptable driving record check, Nationwide Alpha background check, State of CT criminal background check using fingerprints and DCF background check.
- Maintains a valid driver’s license or can demonstrate access to reliable transportation.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.