Direct Support Teacher - Residential Services
Looking for career oriented, Direct Support Teachers. A Direct Support Teacher is expected to provide the highest quality of support and care as part of the team at Benhaven. This is done in accordance with Benhaven policies, procedures and practices along with standards set by the Department of Developmental Services. Direct Support Teachers are integral in fulfilling Benhaven's Mission and Goals by improving the quality of life for the people we serve. Direct Support Teachers will work with neurodivergent people on the Autism Spectrum and with other developmental and intellectual disabilities. Our mission at Benhaven is to ensure the people we serve are able to experience happiness and personal satisfaction through rich community experiences, gainful employment and meaningful relationships. We are currently hiring people of all levels of experience, we look forward to welcoming you to our team.
"Passion is the difference between having a job and having a CAREER."
Blue Trail - Hamden
- FT 37 hours (temp): Saturday & Sunday 7:00am-3:00pm
Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday 3:00pm-10:00pm
- FT 33 hours (temp): Saturday, Thursday & Friday 3:00pm-10:00pm
Johnson - North Haven
- PT 18.5/21.5 hours: Saturday & Sunday 9:00am-3:00pm
Friday E/O 12:00pm-10:00pm
- FT 31.5 hours: Saturday 10:00pm-9:00am
Northside - North Haven - Positions are male preferred
- PT 24 hours: Saturday 9:00am-9:00pm
- FT 36.5 hours: Tuesday 9:00am-9:00pm
Nakash - North Haven - Position is male preferred
- PT 9 hours: Sunday & Monday 4:30pm-9:00pm
Marlen - North Haven
- PT 26 hours: Saturday 9:00am-8:00pm
Oliver - New Haven
- PT 24 hours: Saturday 9:00am-9:00pm
Old Coach - Hamden
- PT 22 hours temp: Sunday 7:00am-9:30pm
- PT 15 hours: Tuesday 2:00pm-9:30pm
Benhaven offers an extremely generous benefits package to all Full-time employees:
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Voluntary FSA
- Life Insurance (no cost)
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- 403b Retirement Plan Available
- Profit Sharing
- Accrued Vacation and Sick time
- Personal Time
- Paid training
Key Task Areas and Responsibilities:
- Training: Attend all Benhaven required training, including House Specific (see New Hire Training Schedule). Employees are expected to attend all training for which they signed up for, please refer to Residential Handbook regarding training.
- Attendance/Tardiness: Expectation is to arrive on time for your shifts and follow the Residential Handbook regarding attendance, calling out, sick time, vacations, 3 days or more out, etc.
- Therap: Entering t-logs, sending s-comms, completing GERs and signing up for training
- Checkwriters: Set up payroll and enter hours worked and utilize time off requests and sick time per agency policy.
- Communication: Read and acknowledge logs daily, utilize respectful language with residents and co-workers, communicate important information to shift leaders and manager. Respond to supervision- take direction from others and respond appropriately to feedback.
- Team: Ability to work with partners, to prepare shifts, listen, share ideas, and help out. Be a team player!
- Independence: Ability to work independent and without direct supervision. Must be able to take initiative as needed.
- Families, Guardians & Outside Agencies: Must work cooperatively, positively and effectively with relatives, advocates, guardians and outside agencies in accordance with Benhaven policies and procedures.
- Documentation: Complete documentation as trained-BSP data, ISP lessons, t-logs, other logs with thorough, descriptive language.
- Behavior Support: Demonstrate competence in supporting individual resident behavioral needs. Ability to demonstrate preventative strategies, implement restrictive procedures according to plans, respond well to crisis situations, support residents in the community according to their community guidelines and complete reliable, accurate data in a timely manner.
- IP/LON: Demonstrate competence in supporting individuals by supporting them in completing IP goals and documenting in ISP data. Following supervision levels as outlined in LON and noted in IP and BSP.
- Medical: Follow all medical protocols, report all illnesses/injuries to nurse and shift leader, utilize First Aid training as needed, assist with medical appointments. Certified in DDS Medication Administration within 6 months of employment, if Full-time.
- Household: Follow house and resident routines and schedules. Assist residents in the upkeep of their home including, but not limited to, cooking, shopping, cleaning, laundry and other household duties.
- Personal Care: Personal care for the residents may be needed. This may include showering, bathing, toileting and assist with cooking skills.
- Financial: Follow Benhaven’s Financial Policy. Use resident money as assigned and submit receipts/document as trained.
- Vehicle: Transportation Program: Vehicle Inspection completed after successful completion of 90 day probationary period, if applicable to residence. Driver’s license must be in good standing. Copy of license, insurance and registration submitted annually. Employees who drive Benhaven vehicles must keep their driver’s licenses in good standing per agency policy; a copy of license must be submitted annually.
- Worker’s Comp: Report all injuries to your supervisor and call Telecare in a prompt and timely manner. Follow all Benhaven Worker’s Comp Policies.
- Tasks involve the ability to exert physical effort, which may involve some lifting, climbing, running, walking, carrying, pushing, and pulling of objects over ten (10) pounds.
- Ability to work under generally safe and comfortable conditions within the group homes, in the community, medical facilities and other designated destinations.
Benhaven, Inc is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, Benhaven will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
And anything else reasonably designated/requested by your Assistant Manager, Manager and/or Residential Director related to your employment at Benhaven Residential.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.